Monday, January 27, 2014

"Man arranges fake arrest for surprise marriage proposal" by Hannah Kilpatrick

Summary:
Matt VanVliet and Samantha Labo first met their freshman year at Colby-Sawyer College when they were arrested at an underage drinking party. They both passed the Breathalyzer test and so were released, and they’ve been dating ever since. So four years later Matt decided that he would get the cops involved with the proposal since their arrest was the reason they met in the first place. So in September of 2013 Matt called Police Chief Andersen, the same police officer who has arrested him 4 years before, and explained to him the polices involvement in his and his girlfriend’s meeting and requested that he pull the two over while they are on their way to a dinner with friends. Chief Andersen, who made the arrest on his own time, said he “felt honored to do it for them; it's nice to do something fun.” Anderson said he's never done anything like this in his 20 years on the force and it would take a unique situation to do anything similar. In a dash-cam police video that recorded the encounter and was posted by the couple on YouTube, New London, New Hampshire, Police Chief Edward G. Andersen and his partner approached the vehicle and asked Matt for his license and registration. Samantha asked on the police officers why they were being pulled over and was answered with a rude remark. When the police officers came back to the vehicle, they said that there was an arrest warrant out for Matt and told him and Samantha to step out of the car. So Andersen pretended to handcuff Matt and Samantha began bawling hysterically. Then Andersen patted down Matt and pulled out the ring box which Matt then took and walked over to Samantha, bent down on one knee and proposed to her. Then all of a sudden her friends came running out too, and she said yes. “I had no idea why. They weren't answering my questions. They made me step out of the car, too. It was just crazy, the whole experience,” Samantha said. "I was just in shock, I wasn't expecting it at all," said Samantha. "He just put so much planning into it and the fact that he planned everything with the cop was just amazing, I was completely ecstatic." The couple has set the wedding for August 2015.

Analysis:
All I can say is that I hope my future husband, whoever he may be, comes up with something creative like that when he proposes… I mean I’m sure I won’t complain but that would still be pretty cool! She went from complete confusion, to horror, to utter disbelief, and then to joy!!! She must have been completely flabbergasted and just lost for words; I know I would be! And then to see all her friends come running out, wow what a perfect proposal!!! And I think that is so neat that they’ve been together since their freshman year of college, I can guarantee they’ve been through a lot together so that is just really cool. I hope one day that I will be able to have such a great relationship; everyone deserves to be loved by someone unconditionally. This was such a cute story and just really made my day.

Here is the link to my article:

2 comments:

  1. That is a really sweet story, but surely that is against police regulations, especially if they were on the clock and using the force's equipment. If not against regulations, the same prank could be used for less savory purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the chief who did it for them, so he was basically able to do whatever he wanted. And he was not on duty at the time; He did this on his own personal time.

      Delete