Tuesday, January 28, 2014

"Company Struggles to Keep U.S. in the Uranium Enrichment Game" (Melissa Kurtzman, 5th Period)

Summary: This article is about a Uranium company based in New Mexico whose output is declining due to the success of European companies. Although the U.S. company was achieving success for awhile, the American demand for uranium has gone down whileEuropean demand has gone up. For the past few years, the American company has been receiving loans from the government but this year might not receive one, resulting in a threat to close the plant. Although the loan might not come through, Congress recently passed a new budget plan for U.S. nuclear weapons.

Analysis: I think this article was very informative and shared a lot of insight into the nuclear weapons industry. I had no idea that there were so many Uranium production companies around the world. I'm glad that I read this article because it taught me new information about a subject that I had never learned about before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/28/business/energy-environment/company-struggles-to-keep-us-in-the-uranium-enrichment-game.html?ref=us

No comments:

Post a Comment