Sunday, January 26, 2014

Claire Zimmerman: Contagion in the Caribbean

Recently, a Royal Caribbean cruise ship became infected with some form of stomach sickness. 281 passengers are currently sick with this illness. The cruise ship has reported that the virus appears to be similar to a norovirus, causing vomiting and diarrhea. The cruise ship has decided to cut the passengers' vacation short and return to the port to go through the entire ship to ensure that everything is spotless before the next passengers board. 

This is, almost completely literally, my worst nightmare. I hate being sick (especially throwing up) and I hate being contained. I’m not a huge fan of cruise ships anyways, but if I was on an infected ship then I would probably have a mental breakdown. I feel so bad for all the people on board this ship. It must be terrible to be surrounded by so many sick people, and you have nowhere to hide. The thought of this scares me beyond belief. It’s like watching Contagion all over again. I hope the remaining healthy people all get off safely. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/26/travel/cruise-ship-illness/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

1 comment:

  1. this is super gross and scary because youre trapped!!! I would be mad though if my cruise got cut short, but im sure no one wants to go to the beach with diarrhea

    ReplyDelete