Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Beka Canfield

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=21826251&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Texas has recently done away with the mandate stating that students have to take algebra II to pass. 
reasoning includes increased opportunity for vocational training instead of rigorous academics. 

I think the state is making a big mistake with this. math isn't about knowing how to do extremely specific, otherwise useless equations. math is about learning how to solve problems. 

4 comments:

  1. Emily Gray - 5th periodJanuary 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM

    I agree, even though students might like this change, I believe they need math to help them in the real world. Math makes your brain thinking and finding solutions just like real world problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very solid point that I think most people overlook. It's all about a higher more complex level of thinking that is necessary to our society.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley Barnes, 2nd
    I didn't know this, and am actually quite stunned by this decision. Learning something, whether you are good at it or not, enhances the way you think about things, and makes you a more well rounded person. I hope this change isn't set forth for long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is actually odd. Texas already has very bad academics, and i doubt this is doing anything to better it.

    ReplyDelete