Sunday, January 26, 2014

Leslie Kelly: The Power of Positive Sleep Persuasion

This is almost interesting: it appears that simply thinking you got a good night's sleep will yield the results of a good night's sleep. This is called a placebo effect, which may also be the reason that the entire country seems to be addicted to its morning coffee. In an experiment held by Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition, half of the participants were told that they got a really good night's sleep, while the other half was told that theirs sucked. The half that thought they were well-rested had much better test results than the other participants. Of course, a good amount of sleep is invaluable, but placebo effect is still a funny and unexpectedly powerful thing. Sometimes after my mom tells me I look tired, I'll yawn and readily agree, even if I didn't notice being tired at all before. It makes me wonder if I actually am getting a decent amount of sleep at night.
Read the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment