Monday, January 27, 2014

"New Hampshire Man Arranges Fake Arrest for Marriage Proposal" - Camille Farrar

            This article, by Julia Talanova, outlines the sweet act Matt Van Vliet put together for his now fiancée, Samantha Labo. The couple was driving down the highway and was pulled over by the police. Van Vliet was told that there was a warrant for his arrest and they began to pat him down. The police chief Edward G. Andersen found a small jewelry box in Van Vliet’s pocket and asked what it was for. This was when Van Vliet went over to Labo, hysterical at this point, and proposed. The article explained that the couple met and began dating because Andersen had arrested them four years before for underage drinking at a party, however they were both released with clean breathalyzer results. Van Vliet explained that they wouldn’t have been dating without the incident, so he asked Andersen to help make it special.
            I chose to read this article because the title stood out to me. It was different from all the stories about all of the bad things happening. For once, a happy story was on the front page of the news site. I was a bit confused as to why Van Vliet would want to pretend to be arrested before proposing, but once I saw later in the article, I thought it was sweet. I’m glad that Labo wasn’t too upset by the fake arrest before she found out its true purpose. If I had been in her place, I might have been too nervous and terrified to accept! I think it’s great that the officer accepted the request to do something so far outside of his duties as a police chief. I hope the couple has a very happy life ahead of them.


3 comments:

  1. Very different current event, which I can appreciate. I agree with your reasoning in regards to why you chose the article you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyra Harris, 5th period

    How cute! This has to be most creative proposal I've ever heard of. Julia must have been so surprised! Congrats to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its nice to see some positive things in the news as opposed to the usual tragic or discouraging events.
    -Mckenzie Hartmann, 4th

    ReplyDelete