Monday, November 27, 2017

Miss Minnesota Contestant Makes History- JJ Jankovsky

This past week, the new Miss Minnesota pageant contestant has made history. She is the first woman with down syndrome to compete for the title of Miss State. I think this is very amazing and I'm so glad she was able to participate. She won awards on got national attention. Mikayla Holmgren, is her name. She received the Spirit of Miss USA Award and the Directors Award. The audience gave her a standing ovation as she got all of her awards. She said, "I'm just really excited, it's out in the world and people are going to know about this," she also said, "I want to do this, on my own and I'm really really proud of myself." She began dancing at the age of 6 and won the Miss Junior Miss Minnesota award, and when she received the invitation she begged her mom to do it. "I hope to continue dancing. I want to teach art to young children. And I would love to be a model. I want to live independently and continue to be an advocate for inclusion. I want to be a light shining for acceptance." She said this on Facebook. I think that this is such an inspiration to me because no matter what she does, she isn't going to let anyone take away her shine and talents. She is perfectly confident in who she is, which I love. Such an amazing inspiration.

4 comments:

  1. This is so inspirational. I hope that she continues to be a role model for girls and boys of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute!! I am glad that she is rising above exceptions that society sets on disabilities like down syndrome. She is truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so cool! I agree with your statement about wanting to be a role model for others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic for not only her but from a role model standpoint it’s amazing that these kids and young adults that are effected by illnesses have another person to look up to. Support is necessary to human development, and this is super supportive. I loooove it

    ReplyDelete