Monday, October 26, 2015

MEAT AND CANCER? Julia Woltjen (3rd period)

SUMMARY: Recently there was a list released by WHO, that shows a small list of meats that cause cancer almost as much as asbestos and smoking. These meats including bacon and sausage.

ANALYSIS: This summary may be short, but this story doesn't need a lot to describe it. The world as we know it is ending if bacon causes cancer. Ok I had my dramatic moment, now we can talk about the fact that this processed meat is now linked with deadly forms of cancer. Many vegetarians are being very cocky on social media now because they have some fire power behind the meat hating and their practice. I am very conflicted about this issue and don't know what to do. Bacon is my favorite meat of all time. I believe this social issue is one of the utmost importance, and should be discussed immediately.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/26/health/who-processed-meat-cancer-social-reaction/index.html

11 comments:

  1. Although this "finding" is interesting, I feel as though I never stop seeing announcements that various types of foods can cause cancer. At some times it feels as though anything can lead to some form of cancer. If the chance is small, I do not feel as though the issue is anything to freak out about.

    Jasmine Rodriguez Period 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like everyday there is something new that were are supposed to just start avoiding because it is "harmful" or "cancerous" to our bodies. Lia K 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today it seems like everything contains cancer or can cause it. This study shows that cancer can be found in meat, but who funded this study, that it does not say. It is like Coke funding a study that results in the statement of "Coke is better than vegetables!" I would like to look more into where the money for this research came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Erin! I couldn't have said it better myself! I think that of course people aren't going to stop claiming things about what goes into our bodies, although what we CAN rely on is who said it.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you can prevent cancer by not eating meat. My cousin was a vegan and got cancer. I think it's a matter of if you are eating unhealthy or not. You can't run from everything and every food you eat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to point out how frequently you write about food and illnesses :) gross

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too think this is a strange statistic, but just wait a year or a few months and people will start saying that eating sausage and bacon has no effect on the development of cancerous cells. It is hard to keep up with the vicissitude of statistics like these.
    -Julianne Swaykus 6

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with the comments above. It seems as if everyday there is something else that is harmful or dangerous and while we want to be careful about what we put into our bodies, overanalyzing everything can be too excessive. It's also true that it matters who funded the research because it can make their "findings" altered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's always going to be another harmful thing that pops up. That's just how life goes. There's always going to be a thing trying to stop us, but you just have to keep moving forward. -Kayleigh Smerud

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meat has been "causing cancer" for years. I did a report on it in 5th grade. I'm a vegetarian but, really? There's no need to startle people, especially if they just got their Blue Bell back. Nora Bracy 5th

    ReplyDelete