Sunday, January 31, 2016

'Grease: Live' prepares to roll-- Demi Tomasides

Okay, so given the nature of our school, I doubt I'm the only one here that's completely psyched for Grease: Live tonight. And given the nature of our country I now I can't be the only one psyched. Tonight is the live, TV version of the 70s Broadway hit Grease. The cast includes Vanessa Hudgens as Rizzo, Carly Rae Jepsen as Frenchy and Keke Palmer as Marty alongside Julianne Hough's Sandy and stage veteran Aaron Tveit's Danny.

This is the fourth live TV production of a musical that Fox has done. The first three being "The Sound of Music" (2013), which really started this whole phenomenon, "Peter Pan" (2014) and "The Wiz" (2015). In a way Fox has got their own Captain of Industry thing going. They took a new idea, with classic gems and put it up for the world to see. And better yet for the audience, it's free. Fox is making their money by selling commercials. And let me tell you, with between the artsy side this weekend and the Superbowl next weekend, they're probably more than willing to pay those high prices for a huge audience.  It's a win-win for all. Oh ya, and in the fall they're going to be doing Rocky Horror, so it's interesting seeing what they chose. I'm curious to see how Grease goes as well as this whole industry of live action.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's really amazing that in doing these, they give other people a chance to see musicals and shows they wouldn't normally get to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenna Hale(6th period)
    I love Grease, it holds a special place in my heart. I also love the fact that the directors have diversified the cast. I can't wait to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched it live and I have to say I really enjoyed it. This was Fox's first live musical (the others were done by NBC) and I think that they did a really great job. The cast was great and the sets were amazing. To me, nothing is better than a good old fashioned musical and I love the fact that it is becoming a huge trend that more people are taking part in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a fun new form of entertainment that has shown and continues to be a success.
    -Victoria Garza

    ReplyDelete