Monday, September 30, 2013

Springtown TX, Hate Crimes

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Springtown-Police-investigating-possible-hate-crime-gay-man-severely-beaten-224932742.html

So, there was this openly gay man in SpringTown, Texas named Arron Keahey. And from what I gathered, he never really hurt anybody or made anybody feel uncomfortable. However, one day this man decided to create a fake profile of a gay man on a social gathering site called "Meet Me" so this man reached out to Keahey and invited him over to his house... Well when Keahey got to his house, he was ambushed, severely beaten, and left for dead.

First of all let me just start off by saying; Arron Keahey actually came into Baskin Robbins on Saturday night, he and his mother were a true blessing. They were the nicest, and most engaging customers I had all night. As I was ringing them up for his ice cream, Arron asked me if I recognized him. I said no, and I asked him very politely why he thought I might've. He asked if I knew anything about SpringTown and the hate crimes going on out there. I was shocked when he asked me this, I told him I had no idea and I asked him what's been happening. And then his mother looked me in the eyes and said "Someone beat the pope out of him and left him for dead cause he was gay"
As soon as I heard those words, my heart sank to my feet. I couldn't believe what I had heard. This story truly put things into perspective for me, it taught me that I'm very lucky to have the life I have today and it made me feel so blessed to know that I'm around tolerant, loving, and safe people everyday.

3 comments:

  1. That is the most heartbreaking story to hear that people still have so much hate that they'd take it out on people who are just trying to live their own lives. I can't believe you heard about this from the victim, that's just incredible and terrifying at the same time. I hope that one day people will finally be able to tolerant and loving to those around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think that people would just grow up &' overcome all their hatered &' disapproval of the way things are now &' just create peace &' accept things, people, &' society the way it is TODAY &' not reflect on the way it USED to be..
    -Heather L. Harris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously? Take the story for what was said? DO YOUR RESEARCH! THIS VICTIM has victims himself! He has charges of Solicitation Indecency W/Child-Contact> Same story the victim told in these charges are similar to what Johnson initially stated. He was accosted first and reacted...badly. instead of reporting it. The victim is a male under the age of 17.

    ReplyDelete