Monday, September 23, 2013

KATEY GUINN 5TH PERIOD "Can a Cell Phone Really Bring Down an Airplane?"

          Okay so I know that most of us get pretty sassy when the flight attendants tell us to power off ALL of our electronics while we are in the middle of listening to our favorite song and or playing our favorite game. But can one electronic device really bring down a giant plane? Not necessarily. It would take a lot. But what it will do is mess around with the pilots controls and airwaves coming from the towers. It makes the pilots have to do more work than needed and if you're in the middle of a storm and the pilots are stressing out about how to get out of it safely, you don't want to cause them more stress than there already is. Now if everyone left ALL of their electronic devices on, yes the plane could come down at anytime and it has happened before. Scientists have tested the waves coming from one iPhone on and off airplane mode. When it is on airplane mode it shows no harm. But just to be safe, always turn it off.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/travel/cell-phones-devices-on-airplanes/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicia Padilla 5th period: In my opinion I just wish passengers would comply with the rule and turn off their cellphones. Going without texting your boyfriend/girlfriend for a couple of hours is hard, I know, but it isn't the end of the world. Plus, I would take not having the internet for a couple of hours over the possibility of having a plane crash any day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. I honestly though that this was an annoying myth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always thought they just wanted us to turn off our electronic devices so we'd have to pay attention during the safety demonstrations. This is really interesting, from now on I'll definitely comply with all the regulations, not just resorting to airplane mode.

    McKenzie Hartmann, 4th period

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really interesting and good to know! I'll make sure to turn off my electronics next time I ride a plane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's scary to know that airplanes have actually gone down due to this silly rule.... You might think that you are the one exception, and not turn off your cellphone. However, if everyone did that, flying could be quite dangerous. I think people tend to forget how advanced flying is; and how it could end terribly.
    Ashley Barnes, 2nd Period

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is actually really scary to me, i always turn my phone on airplane mode, but very rarely do I turn it all the way off and neither does my brother or my sister. Now that I know that bad things can and will happen because I didn't power off my phone, I will take more caution in shutting it completely off before the flight. I hope I'm the only rebel and the rest of you reading this shut off your phones on a plane.

    ReplyDelete