Monday, September 30, 2013

Byron Otis-Famous Cartoonist Leaves Thousands of Dollars Worth of Art in Taxi

This is the visual artist's nightmare. More than ten years of your work, two portfolios bound together in a beige back, forgotten in the back of a taxi. Thousands of dollars gone. As one can expect, the artist of this missing material, Neal Adams, known for his famous work on Batman and the Green Lantern, is making frantic pleas to the taxi drivers of New York and the people who live there to return his art as soon as they find it. He's offering a reward in either cash or an original drawing by him. He hopes that his artwork won't find its way onto ebay or an underground market, which is a likely possibility.
I can feel for Adams, this is a scenario that I have often worried about, leaving my portfolio on the train, and not being able to turn in my work, or losing it forever. The idea of ten years of work disappearing is unthinkably awful to me. I sincerely hope some New Yorker is kind enough to help the artwork back into the arms of its creator.

5 comments:

  1. wow. this is incredibly sad to me, it's like all you've worked for for the past ten years gone after one simple mistake of being forgetful. people leave their wallets places all the time, so it's not like these instances of losing things are rare, but are extremely common. I can't even explain how sad this makes me, and it's even sadder that we live in a world where this man may never get his work back because some mean, greedy people just wanted to make money off of his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary. I bet this guy will never forget anything ever again, but maybe if he believes in karma this bad luck will turn back around for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is disastrous. Heartbreaking really, not that my work is quite that valuable but if something I worked on for that long was left alone to fend for itself in the bustle of New York I might actually die. I feel for him though I hope someone in New York has the heart to return the valued work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, back in middle school I was writing this novel for about three or three and a half years and once lost the flashdrive I kept it on, along with at least fifty pages that had taken me months to write. This is that times a hundred and I honestly can't imagine how frantic and awful he must feel :c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely any artists' worst nightmare. I can't even picture how distraught I'd be. It would definitely be wonderful if someone actually returns it. So much time and effort went into making his art, I really hope it doesn't end up being sold. -Nana Johnson 2nd Period

    ReplyDelete