Monday, September 23, 2013

Kid's Cell Phone Addiction- Alexa Almaguer 4th Period

Summary:
Several parents from around the U.S. sent in different ideas on ways to, "cut the phone cord," in order to be present and have real conversations as a family. Specifically teenagers have picked up on the bad habit of never putting down cell phones. Distracted parenting was among the many reasons that parents sent in on why technology is becoming such a distraction. Several parents discussed taking away their teenager's phone after a certain time at night. They say that doing so has helped their kid's academic performance as well as making more time to spend as a family.

Analysis:
Written by Kelly Wallace, this article discusses the rising cell phone "addiction" that ranges from as young as 10 years old to adults. Unfortunately, I definitely relate to the statement on teenagers never putting down their cell phones. Whether it be texting, Instagram, or Twitter, people are constantly checking their phones. I do see why parents may find this habit to be quite irritating, because looking at your phone under the table isn't exactly the most polite thing to do. Because of cell phones and the rise of social media, people seem to lose touch with having real conversations and interaction. It's somewhat sad how going a day with no phone seems like the end of the world. Hopefully teens, including myself, will learn to be less dependent on their phones and the constant need to text, tweet, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/23/living/parents-kids-addicted-cell-phones/index.html?hpt=us_t2

11 comments:

  1. Kolina Hocevar period 5
    It is sad to see our generation being sucked into our cell phones constantly. We need to be more aware of our surroundings in be involved more,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kolina Hocevar period 5
    It is sad to see our generation being sucked into our cellphones constantly. We all need to be aware of what is going on in our world and become involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felicia Padilla 5th period: a lot of people these days are on their phones all of the time, whether it is actually looking down and texting or it is just having earbuds in. I have noticed that many people become completely oblivious to the world around them when they have their phone handy. Not only is it a setback for communication it is also a safety hazard.

      Delete
  3. Sadly the problem is not with technology at all. I am upset to see that no one thinks deeply enough into the real issue, just because the surface issue is easier to accept. Just because research has proven high technology use is related to lower academic performance or less family time, does not mean that is the whole reason. I have a cell phone that I use constantly. Yet I have an "A" average in school, I am in a production, and still have time to interact with all of my siblings, parents and friends on an intimate level. Parents trying to limit cell phone time will only make a person crave that device more when they do have it. It's all about instilling (is that a word?) values and morals in todays youth so that they know the world does not revolve around, and will move on from all the social media they're addicted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you are definitely right. I have a smart device, but I don't have social media because if I want to be social with someone, I will talk to them...I don't know...... IN PERSON!!! Or on the phone! I think children should know that the phone is not the center of the universe.....or even their life.

      Delete
  4. As a teenager myself, I would not want my phone to be taken away from me at all and I'm sure many people, especially my age, will feel the same. However, I do not think kids should constantly be on their phones to the point where they become addicted. We do need to be aware of everything around us and not just what is displayed behind a small bright screen. The popularity of social media and texting has increased and will continue to, but people should not allow it to take over their social lives completely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the issue mainly comes down to self control. It only becomes an issue when the student doesn't understand when it is inappropriate to use earbuds. Technology can be so helpful, if not abused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It is all about self control. While it is true that cell phones and technology can be a huge distraction to some kids, it can also be a very big help to others. If you don't have the self discipline to know that you shouldn't have your phone out at the dinner table or in class, then that show a lack of self control. One should never let it get to the point of addiciton.

      Delete
  6. Technology is going to advance, and it is okay to use it. However, I completely agree that teenagers including myself have an addiction. Even when you know that you have something you really need to do, like homework, students such as myself still continue to do pointless activities on their cell phone. I think the world in general needs to try to remember that there is a life and a world outside of our phones.
    Ashley Barnes, 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have noticed that people have been getting attached to their phones. One of my friends asked if I had a charger with me and I said yes and let her use it. It had only been 10 minutes and she almost had an anxiety attack from not having her phone.

    ReplyDelete