Sunday, September 29, 2013

miss world

Megan Young, 23, was crowned Miss World this Saturday. Born in the United States but moved to the Philippines when she was 10, she is the previous Miss Philippines. Young is a college student as well as an aspiring filmmaker and director. After she was crowned in Bali, Indonesia, she gave her thanks; "No words! Thank you so much for everyone for choosing me. I promise to be the best Miss World ever." However, protestors in the predominantly Muslim nation denounced the event. The traditional swimsuit competition was replaced with a beachwear attire competition in an attempt to please religious concerns. Still, the event was forced to relocate to a Hindu resort island, Bali, instead of being held in Jakarta due to protestors.
I've never really taken an interest in the Miss World or Miss America competitions because I don't really think it's right to put women on display like that. And yes, all pageants say it's not based on beauty, it's based on talent or  intelligence or kindness or whatever but I think we all know they're all based on sex appeal. That being my standpoint on Miss World pageants, it was easy for me to agree with the protestors even without any religious affiliation. I appreciate the effort to appease the protestors of the host country as well.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/28/world/miss-world-2013/index.html

2 comments:

  1. Tyra Harris

    I agree with you, it was right to relocate the event to a more acceptable venue. The committed organizations of the pageant should have thought about the views the Indonesian citizens before even choosing it to be there. It's disrespectful to them and their culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this interesting of course that such a thing as a pageant could cause so much conflict, but what does it have to do with American current events?

    ReplyDelete