Monday, February 22, 2016

Uber Driver Murders 6 in Random Shooting-Nicholas Watson, 9th

Summary:
   An Uber driver was arrested Sunday when he opened fire in three locations in Kalamazoo, Mich. where he killed 6 and injured 2. Jason Dalton, the suspect, was first accused of shooting a woman in a parking lot and also shooting a father and son, killing both. He reportedly killed four victims when he walked up to their cars in a Cracker Barrel parking lot. Police say that they are having extreme difficulty putting the pieces and are now classifying this incident as random acts of violence, seemingly unrelated.

Analysis:
   This tragic story I think sheds light on something I have always been concerned about, riding Uber. The fact that, especially at our school, Uber is an increasingly popular, alternate mode of transportation for many people, it has always concerned me that whenever I ride Uber I am getting into a car, without defense, with a person with intentions of harm. I mean not trying to scare anyone, but the thought to me is troubling and although there is not much we can do right now, its always unnerving to get into a car, Uber, taxi etc. and not knowing what the intentions are of the driver. That's why I hope to see some enhanced security policies and practices that Uber may put in place. Although this man was not in the car for every murder it still raises alarming questions. On the other hand here is another important reason that I believe we need to crack down on how easy it is for people to obtain guns, although we cant be sure of anyone's intentions, I still think we have a long ways to go until we find an effective way to be sure people will be responsible and safe with guns. On the other hand we run into contradictions like if we were to base who we let have guns based off of their intentions, then nobody would have guns, but since society cant/wont work like that, for now we are left to resort to the hopes that people will treat guns with maturity and safeness. This event can relate to other acts of gun violence like Columbine and the Aurora movie theater shooting.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/killed-multiple-shootings-michigan/story?id=37091364

4 comments:

  1. I take Uber a lot but I am always worried of something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know banning weapons is technically unconstitutional, but at least make accessing guns be more official to try to prevent an incident like this.
    Bella Di Fazio pd:8

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Uber is Über shady tbh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olivia Browne Period 6
    This is worrisome. Uber should monitor their drivers.

    ReplyDelete