Sunday, February 28, 2016

Raven-Symoné: I'll move to Canada if a Republican is 'nominated'-- Demi Tomasides

I don't know about you but when I was a kid I loved Raven-Symone. And yes, Raven-Samone, as in That's So Raven, Raven-Symon. Apparently now she is hosting The View and is definitely not shy in sharing her view, however well (or not) thought out. As you can imagine, when she said that she would, "move to Canada if a Republican was nominated", she got a tiny bit of back fire. Not necessarily on the pure politics of it, though. Her co-host, Candace Cameron Bure, informed her that she was not a Canadian citizen and therefore needs a visa to work in Canada. Symone then insisted, "I already have my ticket," Raven-Symoné said. "No, I literally bought my ticket. I swear."

Now, I really don't intend for this to get into a whole political debate, but I feel like we should address the fact that this is pretty funny. I mean her comment doesn't even make sense. "Move to Canada if a Republican is nominated." A republican is going to be nominated no matter what, so it's a good thing she bought her ticket, aye. It's been this way since the 2nd election. We all joke and say, "Oh I'll move to Canada. Everything's perfect in Canada.", but in reality, that wouldn't be a reality. People on twitter were really having a hay day. One person tweeted, "Someone needs to start writing her lines. Her ignorance on the political process is sad. But, it's a good laugh!". When I read this it kind of made me think of when W. E. B. Du Bois. was so done with the injustice in America, that he moved to Africa. Somehow that seems more acceptable, though.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/entertainment/raven-symon-republican-nomination-canada-feat/index.html

5 comments:

  1. I think Raven-Symone has just joined the hundreds of celebrities who have said something that they did not necessarily mean. Although her comment was not intelligent, I think that people need to calm down about it because it is not the first time that a celebrity has said something not well thought out. However, the sentiment expressed in her comment is worrying to me. I think many people share her view, so I wonder what will happen if they follow through on that promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lisl, I believe her emotions were probably running high and she just happened to let that statement slip. The media is all over celebrities and if you say one wrong work they will publicize it in less than a minute, so I believe she just misspoke.
    -Julianne Swaykus 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if people will actually put actions to their words and actually leave the country if a republican wins the election.
    - Isabella Montague 5th period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I'm looking at colleges overseas anyways, but it would be terrible if I had to leave Booker T i my last year because a repub won, especially Trump because he'd try and deport us all away anyways.

      Delete
  4. Olivia Browne Period 6
    I hope that Raven will stay in the US.

    ReplyDelete