Sunday, February 28, 2016

Trump won't disavow support from KKK, David Duke - Erin O'Day

Former KKK grand wizard David Duke has announced that the KKK endorses Donald Trump's presidential bid, but Trump won't disavow their support, claiming he doesn't know David Duke, doesn't know what the interviewer means by "white supremacists," or anything, so he can't disavow them until he's researched them to find out if they are really bad. But saying he doesn't know anything about David Duke seems contradictory to what he said in 2000, when he explained why he was breaking ties with the reform party. "The Reform Party now includes a Klansman, Mr. Duke, a neo-Nazi, Mr. Buchanan, and a communist, Mr. Fulani. This is not a company I wish to keep." Trump had said.

When I read this, I just shook my head. I'm not necessarily surprised that Trump is not disavowing the KKK. I wouldn't have put it past him, because we already know how awful he is. And what does he mean he doesn't know anything about these white supremacist groups? The KKK have done horrible, horrible things throughout American history and still today, and I find it incredibly difficult to believe that he has to "research" these groups such as the KKK to find out if they "really are bad." What I am shocked, frustrated, and honestly embarrassed by are the overwhelming amount of people who support him. I heard a statistic recently that a startling 20% of Trump's supporters believe it was a mistake to free the slaves in 1863. If that doesn't make you terrified of America's future if Trump is elected, I don't know what will.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/28/politics/donald-trump-white-supremacists/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Olivia Browne Period 6
    I am extremely appalled by these occurrences.

    ReplyDelete