Monday, November 26, 2018

Rachel DuBard- What Students Are Saying About: Housing the Homeless, Pimple Positivity and a Giant Machine

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/learning/what-students-are-saying-about-housing-the-homeless-pimple-positivity-and-a-giant-machine.html?rref=collection%2Fspotlightcollection%2Flearning-current-events&action=click&contentCollection=learning&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=4&pgtype=collection

In this article, students of my generation basically submitted their opinions, comments, and concerns about relative topics today. First, these students described how they felt about letting homeless people live in their backyard. With the large homelessness population in the US, I found these comments very heart-warming as people of my generation decided they would let a homeless person live in their yard because people deserve second chances and if they are able to help anyone in need, they will. What i found the most interesting was that even the people who said they wouldn't let homeless people live in their yard due to safety and privacy reasons, which is completely understandable, they were still able to stay open minded in saying that maybe they feel this way because of the way they grew up always having shelter and not witnessing a lot of homelessness in the environments they are in. Next, students described the new attitudes about acne. I found this interesting because it's more relevant to me and my classmates being teens with acne. Currently, celebrities have been posting their bare skin showing that acne isn't a bad thing and is just a normal thing that almost everyone has dealt with at some point. They described this as the "Pimple Positivity Movement" which is mostly influenced my social media. Then students were asked to describe what they believed this photos true meaning was. Some described it as the government and some resembled it to the media influencing and ruling citizens. In all, I really enjoyed reading this article because its more relative to me in my generation and I was able to understand the mind set of more people my age from all around the country.

4 comments:

  1. I love the fact that the Times is listening to what those of our generation have to say. I know I often feel that, because of our age, we are heard, but our opinions are not taken into account in situations spanning from those in our houses to those on national levels. The fact that the NYT is using their platform to amplify the voice of the teenager is fantastic and something i hope to see more of.

    Fiona Graybill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that this article was written. Obviously it was written for teenagers, but I think it was written for adults too. Our generation seems to be more open-minded, and maybe that can, at the very least, make some people stop and thoroughly think about their opinions on these topics. The pimple positivity movement is really important because it's another branch of body positivity. Acne is something that many people, especially teenagers, struggle with. No one should feel alone or shamed for something they can't control, and our generation is trying to ensure that everyone feels comfortable their own skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just go get a house stupid homeless people, just increase taxes by 1000%, fight the patriarchy and also follow me on snapchat im lonely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could anyone be homeless, just buy a house *stunned emoji*

      Delete