Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Leslie Kelly: Should Schools Introduce Dress Codes for Parents?

A Florida school board member is proposing that parents bringing their kids to school should be subject to a basic dress code, which is meeting, not surprisingly, plenty of negative backlash. Rosalind Osgood brought up the point that people are bringing their kids wearing "saggy pants" and "curlers in their hair." She argues that it embarrasses the students and keeps them from taking the importance of presentation seriously. But the parents' argument is that their mission is simply to get their kid to school on time and they don't have enough time to spend getting all prettied up in the mornings themselves. I can see where both sides are coming from, and as a former pedestrian who was occasionally dropped off by a mother wearing her Hello Kitty pajama pants I can honestly say I never cared. She stayed in the car and I hopped out and she drove away. She didn't effect my ideas regarding public presentation at all. Are you guys embarrassed by your parents if they do this? What do you think?
article 

7 comments:

  1. I don't think there should be a dress code for parents. Just simply ask them to wear clothes and not show undergarments. I think that's a reasonable request...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't really care what my parents wear to pick/drop me off. I don't think it really matters, so long as what they're wearing is appropriate. Plus, parents are always going to try to embarass you anyway - it's a fact of life. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? A dress code for parents? How does that even make sense? They can wear what they want, cause they're tax money is going towards paying for the school. Their funding them, so they should hush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find this a little ridiculous and unnecessary. Parents are not under the school's rules all day...the students are. I think people are over reacting a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tyra Harris, 5th period

    The school board is seriously asking too much of parents. As long as the parents are not showing excessive amounts of their body or wearing clothes that display inappropriate messages, they're fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a little ridiculous. I understand there is a standard for parents, but I don't actually think that a dress code needs to be employed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its parents! They aren't going to school. They put in their time. Are they going to need to wear their custom Versace gowns and suits to the grocery store now? What is this?!

    ReplyDelete