Monday, March 24, 2014

"Tumbleweeds Take Over Colorado Neighborhoods" - Camille Farrar

            Tumbleweeds have taken over multiple Colorado neighborhoods. The invasion began last week, and residents say there are usually tumbleweeds, but they’ve never seen this many. One person interviewed said they were piling up in his yard up to six feet tall. Another interviewee said that she and her daughter saw some in Walmart. There have been instances of people becoming barricaded in their houses and tumbleweeds finding their way inside multiple buildings. Many have said they become a nuisance when driving because they can scratch cars or get stuck underneath them.
            This came as a huge surprise for me. I, for one, have never even seen a tumbleweed in real life. I have no idea what I would do if they started piling up as high as six feet tall all of the sudden. I hope the residents continue to be able to clean them up – the article said they’ve even been using snowplows to clear them – because of the increased risk of fires. Hopefully, this tumbleweed issue will be cleared up soon and without significant damage to anyone’s property.


2 comments:

  1. This seems really interesting! I will be curious to find out how they would even solve an issue like this.
    Ashley Barnes 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tumbleweed is so strange and incessant. I love it. Although in this case, tumbleweed's more stubborn qualities are negative, the way it rolls and piles, spreading seeds along, is weirdly fascinating. Not to mention, tumbleweed is an iconic symbol of desolation. How harrowing it must be to find it covering ones backyard.

    This is a song in the Big Lebowski-
    I'm a roving cowboy riding all day long,
    Tumbleweeds around me sing their lonely song.
    Nights underneath the prairie moon,
    I ride along and sing this tune.

    See them tumbling down
    Pledging their love to the ground
    Lonely but free I'll be found
    Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

    Cares of the past are behind
    Nowhere to go but I'll find
    Just where the trail will wind
    Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

    I know when night has gone
    That a new world's born at dawn.

    I'll keep rolling along
    Deep in my heart is a song
    Here on the range I belong
    Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds.

    ReplyDelete