Saturday, March 22, 2014

Is homework making your child sick?/ Arlesia McGowan Period 4


                                                                             

Article by: Amanda Enayati
Date written: Friday, March 21, 2014

         What we've all been waiting for right? The infamous question in spite of what authorities think. What is homework doing to us? To we have to much? To little? Well new research shows that some students are doing an average of three hours of homework each night. Another report says that kids' homework hasn't changed since 1984. Children on both ends of the economic spectrum may face health risks. Denise Pope, Senior lecturer at he Stanford graduate school of education mainly focused on upper middle class privileged high school students and  found that in those communities the accepted value of homework is "...deeply and unquestionably entrenched". Such things, for anyone of any class may cause health problems such as stomach ulcers, sleep deprivation, exhaustion, and more. She says that in high school, students should have the maximum of two hours and middle school no more than 90 minutes. Take that for a change. 
           I just thought this was really interesting because although people talk about this issue all the time , it never really dawned on me as a societal issue (if it isn't now then it is definitely supposed to be). I know from my behalf I never really completely can finish my homework because of my schedule but some how I manage. In my opinion, I think teachers should be respectable and more aware that a student has a life going on outside of what we all so after school almost every day. Life Happens. Any insights?

Arlesia McGowan
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/health/homework-stress/index.html?hpt=he_t2

What makes it all better: 

5 comments:

  1. I find this extremely true especially for the kids of an arts school. But the students of normal high school get out of school any where between 1:45 and 3. I feel as though our generation has just become lazy and used the "difficulty of homework" to take too long as an excuse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Montana. I think kids who are genuinely challenging themselves and trying hard in school deserve more credit for their work, but I also think that the excuse of "too much homework" has become all too common. I think in a lot of ways kids put up "road blocks" for themselves when It comes to homework, and creating a predisposition to an assignment before even trying to complete it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that while people should continually reinforce what they've learned, often the really important information can get lost in a shuffle of "busy work." I know that sometimes I have so much homework, I have to complete each task quickly and not to the best of my ability, which isn't really helping anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homework can be essential. However I believe that homework should be more of a review of the day's activities, rather than a whole new learning experience itself. I think homework should be to reinforce what you learned, not busy work that just takes up time.
    Ashley Barnes 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that teachers should be more aware that we actually have lives outside of school! I receive homework almost every night that takes me at LEAST 3 hours to complete. Having this to try to balance with a busy schedule can become stressful for anyone our age and I can say for a fact that I do not get enough sleep!

    ReplyDelete