Monday, March 31, 2014

Making High Tech Cars: By Taylor Grant-Gates

The Unites States requires that all new cars have backup cameras. Automakers will be required to install backup cameras in most of their new vehicles by May 2018. There are nearly 210 back over deaths each year. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) believes that the installation of back up cameras will significantly decrease that number.  Backup cameras would save between 59 and 69 deaths per year. It was recommended by the NHTSA before but has now been put into actual law. AS well as being a beacon for safety the backup cameras would also benefit the driver by making it easier to park.

This is really good that they want to install a backup camera to help with the safety issue. I applaud the people who fought for this law to be passed. I just have one question, if all of the cars are supposed to have back up cameras will student drivers be able to use them on their driving exams? I know it sounds and seems ridiculous to ask a question like that but seriously do they? If you take the test today and use some of those backup cameras to backup, you automatically fail your diving exam. The student drivers learning to drive will get used to the back up cameras in all of the drive times that they take, or will they? Will these backup cameras have the ability to be shut off? I am sure they will but you have to keep some things in mind......

2 comments:

  1. I do think that it is good to have a camera as a safety precaution, but I also think that it would be unwise to have a child learn how to drive with one. We wouldn't want them to become dependent on them, because in the off chance they would have to drive a car without one, their likelihood of an accident would increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first got my license, I drove my dad's car, which had a backup camera. I definitely got used to being able to see exactly where my backup path was and it helped me adjust to being on the road by myself. My car, which I've had for 3 months, doesn't have a backup camera and it was a huge adjustment. Now, I get nervous when I'm backing out of a parking space because I can't see exactly where I'm going. I think it's a great idea to require all cars to have backup cameras because ti will make things a lot safer and help to prevent accidents.

    ReplyDelete