Monday, November 18, 2013

U.S. Midwest Tornado

Summary:
     On Sunday a powerful tornado struck down on the small city of Washington, Illinois. Many people thankfully took cover, including survivor Ryan Bowers and his family. Their home was completely wiped out by the winds that blew up to 200 miles per hour. The storm killed only eight people in Illinois and Michigan. Bowers said he normally does not pay much attention to tornado sirens but this event definitely changed his awareness. About 250 to 500 homes were destroyed by the tornado with winds ranging from 166 to 200 miles per hour. Officials said that the common use of basements in the area to take shelter in was what helped people survive.

Analysis:
     It is so sad to hear about such storms and natural disasters that destroy peoples towns. I can't imagine having my house with all of my belongings completely wiped away by a tornado. As Ryan Bowers learned in the article, it is important to take cover and to take warnings seriously. I didn't realize how uncommon basements are where I live until it was mentioned in this article. No one I know has a basement in their house, yet it would be very convenient to have one. My prayers go out to those affected by the storm and I think it would be great if people in the country do everything they can to try to help rebuild their city.

 http://news.yahoo.com/survivors-deadly-u-midwest-tornado-sift-wreckage-010232638--sector.html

2 comments:

  1. I'm terrified of tornadoes, so that is my absolute worst nightmare. I'm so thankful I've never had to endure such hardships. My heart goes out to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is crazy that tornadoes are happening right now and very scary to think that your house could be taken out in just a few minutes.

    ReplyDelete