Sunday, November 24, 2013

Mother, long-lost son finally meet more than 30 years later - Aliyah Christian 1st period

When David Barrick was only 2 years old, his father kidnapped him from Chicago and took him away to Mexico. At last, on Saturday, for the first time in over 35 years, he is reunited with his mother, who lives in Wisconsin.  His mother, Kathy Amaya, now 60, met him at the airport. They embraced, hugged and kissed -- the first time they've laid eyes on each other in about 35 years.
The son spoke in Spanish: "I love you and I missed you a lot. I welcome you into my life."
The mother declared to her son: "I love you and I'm very happy to see you and I'm not going to let you go."
Later, the son told reporters that he was at a loss of words.
The mother remarked: "He's all grown up."
David Amaya was discovered because he was arrested illegally crossing the U.S. - Mexico border. He told police that he was a U.S. citizen, born in Chicago. When police checked out his story, they found his birth certificate and also found his mother, living in Wisconsin. Kathy said that her son was taken without her permission and she mailed letters to the grandparents in San Luis Potosi, but those notes were never answered, she said. David's father, told their son that his mother abandoned him at an orphanage because she didn't love him, David Amaya said. But after the father put the boy in the grandparents' care, "he almost never spent time with me," David Amaya said. David Amaya will spend the holidays with his mother in Wisconsin for a month, and he hopes to speak with his father about what really happened to him when he was 2 or 3 years old.
  I can only imagine how this mother must have felt all these years. I think it's really great that they have found one another now. I hope they are able to at least have a life together now, as adults. I think it would be a terrible feeling, growing up thinking that your mother did not love you and abandoned you.
 

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/23/us/mother-long-lost-son-reunion/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

1 comment:

  1. This is quite remarkable, I can only imagine how they both felt when realizing that they were going to see each other.
    Ashley Barnes 2nd

    ReplyDelete