Sunday, November 24, 2013

Jasmine Easter: North Korea detains American

     85-year-old Merrill Newman has been detained in North KOrea since October 26. The US is working with the swedish embassy to get her back but there isn't much word on what's going on exactly. The 85-year-ld originally visited on a 10-day tour with her husband and a tour guid. Time is crucial in this situation because Newman is said to have a heart condition and there was only enough meds packed for the 10 day trip. More medication was sent to the swedish embassy to give to Newman but thee has been no word on if She has gotten it or not.

     This is very Scary to hear! I wonder why an 85-year-old woman has been detained in North Korea for so long? how could she possibly pose as a threat? I'm also anxious to see how the US will handle the situation after Newman is returned. Also why is there such a lack of communication inn this situation? So many questions that still need to be answered.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/22/world/asia/north-korea-detained-american/index.html?hpt=us_c2

4 comments:

  1. It's terrible to hear this. I really hope that she is able to return to the U.S. unharmed. I know that one person would not cause a full out war, however this does show the tensions between the two countries.
    Ashley Barnes 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicia Padilla 5th period- this does not seem fair. I feel bad for this women. I know I wouldn't like it if I was detained in a foreign country

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tyra Harris, 5th period

    Honestly, I find it hard to sympathize with this woman. It's no secret that North Korea is one of the least tourist-friendly and anti-American countries in the world. Knowing this, why would be so foolish as to she travel there? Because of her idiocy, the US has to spend time and money in an effort to bring her back to the States. She should have never visited there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. North Korea scares me. Although I agree with Tyra, you should be prepared if you're going into North Korea.

    ReplyDelete