Monday, November 18, 2013

"White mayor, black wife: NYC shatters an image"- Devin Lewis

White mayor, black wife: NYC shatters an image

(Written by Jesse Washington for the Associated Press and AP Researcher Judith Ausuebel contributed to this report.)

Bill de Blasio  is apparently the first white politician in U.S. history elected to a major office with a black spouse, Chirlane McCray by his side. Considered a remarkable marriage dealing with racial barriers the couple went against old taboo. American history has always had trouble when dealing with interracial couples dating back to President Thomas Jefferson fathering children with his slave Sally Hemings. Popular culture hasn't helped the issue either as shown in a 1991 film, Spike Lee. Breaking the common image and dated beliefs many see Bill de Blasio and Chirlane McCray marriage as a sign of hope that the taboo is finally dying. 

While i do believe that another milestone has been passed in America's racial journey, I do believe it came a little to late. I am glad to see that the next mayor of New York City is a white man with a black wife but I feel that it is not that important. I thought that interracial is so common and accepted that it would not have made front page.  I wish both Bill de Blasio and Chirlane McCray the best and mean no harm when I say that this article doesn't shock me. It bothers me that we have just come over this hump in race. But then again we are a nation that complained about an interracial family on a Cheerios commercial.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/white-mayor-black-wife-nyc-shatters-image-160244789.html

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Why is this issue all of a sudden so popular? Even though interracial marriage has been common for a while, I do think it's good that a more popular interracial couple, like Bill and Chirlane, are exposed to the public. It shows how much the nation has changed over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interracial marriage excites me.

    And I agree with you. I fail to see why this would make big news, as common as it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. There is definitely still a certain taboo in interracial relationships but they are becoming more common and will most likely become even more common in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete