Monday, October 24, 2016

Trinity Bella Hawkins 6th - Emmett Till Memorial Sign Filled With Bullet Holes

Summary: In this article, CNN reporter Andrea Preuss discusses the recent event that happened on Saturday, October 22, 2016, in which several bullet holes were found on the memorial of Emmett Till. Emmett Till was a 14 year old boy who was brutally murdered and mutilated by a group of white men on August 28, 1955 for reportedly flirting with a white woman. His death is especially known for causing an uproar in the southern community and for his funeral being televised. The article also talks about how the youth of today is very disconnected to the past and they don't appreciate the gifts of life and freedom they have been given.

Analysis: This truly left me shook and in awe because I am sincerely confused as to who would have the gal to shoot up such a land mark as this. Also, I am really questioning the value that the black legacy holds in America considering people didn't even report this until days after it happened - which can only mean that no one cares. I am tired of seeing black history being trampled over. I am tired of my life not having worth. I am tired of worrying about whether or not my family or I will be next. I am tired of having to repeat myself - my black life should matter. All lives can't matter until black lives do, and if this doesn't prove to you that they have no value in America, I really don't know what would.

Synthesis: This reminds me of the circuses in the Antebellum Age, when circus owners such as P.T. Barnum and other would not appreciate the black history they stole and used.

No comments:

Post a Comment