Monday, August 31, 2015

The Return of Blue Bell By Mattie Whisler 9th period





After almost 5 months Blue Bell is finally back on the shelves. Early Monday morning Blue Bell sent out their first batch of containers to stores in Texas and Alabama. Blue Bell was recalled in April 2015 for the contamination caused by Listeria that killed 3 people and made others sick.



The company has been producing and stocking up their inventory in Alabama. They recently informed Oklahoma that they were going to soon begin working in their Broken Arrow factory. The first phase of the plan was to sell to South Texas and part of Alabama. The next phase of their plan is to sell to North Texas and Oklahoma.



The news is giving Blue Bell a lot of “free advertising”. Many people are excited but is it really everyday news? I think that Blue Bell should not get this much attention.



In 1982 a Tylenol recall happened because someone tampered with the capsules and killed 7 people. For a long period of time afterwards Tylenol sales were slow. It will be interesting to see what happens to Blue Bell’s sales.



Sources:
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Fall02/Susi/tylenol.htm

http://www.bigcountryhomepage.com/news/blue-bell-is-back-on-shelves
http://www.fox23.com/news/news/national/blue-bell-ice-cream-returns-store-freezers/nnTmW/

10 comments:

  1. Andrew Smith 8th Period- I completely disagree with you Mattie, I think that because bluebell is such a part of southern and Texas culture, it deserves the airtime. My mother used to drive an hour and a half to go to the nearest store that sold bluebell when she went to collage. Bluebell is a part of Texas culture, because of this, it deserves airtime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting. Blue Bell is getting publicity even though it killed 3 people. It's not that people are afraid of Blue Bell now; they love it so much that they can't wait for it to return!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Bob, though I'd say its more of a combination of both- but leaning towards your opinion here. I'd still be leery of the brand, but honestly being frightful towards ice cream because of this incident would justify being paranoid of all foods being poisoned, and that's just a bit extreme.
    -Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it interesting you reference the tylenol case, the first product tampering case in the US. I think that as long as the now proceed with caution it's fine it is back on the self.
    - Marlee Fleisher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting comparison with the Tylenol, I feel it might be the opposite for the fact Blue Bell has everyone talking all the time about how excited they are that they are coming back. One reason is Blue Bell will probably taste better for the fact they have received and cleaned all machines like new or are new.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is everyday news, Blue Bell is a local company (relatively, they're based in Brenham, Tx) that recently went through hardship and is re-opening/re-beginning product distribution, now if that isn't everyday news then I don't know what is. Also, in contrast to the Tylenol case, Blue Bell makes ice-cream, while Tylenol makes cough syrup. Generally speaking, people like ice-cream more than cough syrup (I know I do), and that being true, people are more inclined to be excited about their favorite brand of ice-cream being distributed again than a certain brand of cough syrup, its just human nature.
    - Bennett Copley

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Blue Bell should definitely be apart of everyday news! By living in the South, I believe Blue Bell is loved by lots of southern people including myself! I feel as if knowing that several people died from eating Blue Bell, it is very important for Blue Bell to be in daily news.
    Randi Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that while Blue Bell is a widespread classic favorite, the company and advertising and hype is being very insensitive to the fact that people lost their lives. While it may not have been Blue Bell's intention, and I believe it should definitely return, we should not overlook or sweep the tragic events under the rug. I am not against Blue Bell, I just am worried about the fact that we can overlook such tragedy for the sake of a dairy product.

    ReplyDelete