Monday, December 14, 2015

Kenley Turner 3rd - Dutch Museum Renaming Art for Cultural Sensitivity

Summery: A Museum in Amsterdam is taking an initiative phase where many of the artworks are being renamed due to cultural sensitivity. For example: instead of "Negro Girl", a painting will be called "picture of girl holding fan". Many people native to Amsterdam don't understand why these terms are offensive, but the museum director realizes that they are, so they are changing it.

Analysis: I think that it is a big step for people to be aware of which terms are offensive and which terms are not. I also don't think that people should be using these terms during conversation. However, considering the setting, and art museum, I think it is important that people properly capture the time period, and the artist's perspective. I'm not saying people shouldn't get offended when they hear culturally insensitive words, but I do think it is important to remember a time that we were once at in history. They use these words in history books to convey a particular time period, and I think that is important. Maybe instead of completely changing the names, they could've just put the titles in quotation marks, like they do in history books. It is also a censorship issue, and I DO 100% believe an artist can say whatever they want to say, no matter how wrong or un-agreeable it is.

Source: CLICK HERE

1 comment:

  1. Yo! I wrote an article on this too, It makes me so frustrated when people try to cover up history

    ReplyDelete