Monday, March 28, 2016

"WOMD" Julia Plummer pd 1

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/29/world/asia/pakistan-bombing-lahore.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news


This Sunday, Lahore in Pakistan suffered a terrorist attack, which is not uncommon in that area. Innocent civilians had their lives torn apart by this event, which only lasted a matter of seconds. As a response to this bombing, the Prime Minister held a speech addressing the matter at hand, and vowed to "fight terrorism," and rid it from the country.

When I think of this event, I can't help but relate it to the bombing of Hiroshima. I know that these two cities were bombed for completely different reasons, but it's not the motive behind it that impacts me. For some reason I can't make sense of the fact that some people can simply push a button, or order a bomb to be dropped when they know how many lives it will destroy, and how future generations will be impacted by it. Over spring break I went to Japan, and saw the Hiroshima bombing memorial and museum. I couldn't (and still can't) understand how people think that bombing innocent people is a good way to solve their problems, I can only see how it creates more problems. I hope that in the future, governments and the general public alike will see that weapons of mass destruction impact everyone negatively- not only those they are used against. 

No comments:

Post a Comment