Sunday, March 27, 2016

Adriana Hinojosa 8th, Autism in Adulthood

In the United States we are so quick in diagnosing people with ADHD and fail to look beyond that to see if that person may have anything else wrong with them. I read this article and was so intrigued especially because I feel like I currently know an adult who may have autism and is not diagnosed. While I do strongly believe ADHD is over-diagnosed I do not think anyone's outlandish behavior should be overlooked and should be taken seriously. Especially when it comes to things like autism which has to do with behavior around other people, it is vital for that person to not be clueless their whole life. What I think this article really brings to light is the importance of doctors really taking the time with each of their patients to give them and tell them exactly what it is they need. While this is obviously easier said than done, that is the point of a doctor. If doctors want to receive the credibility they seek, they need to keep those standards high by being super personal with each of their patients no matter how many patients they may have. (I HIGHLY recommend reading the interviews in the article!!)
Sam HarveyA drawing of one of the newly diagnosed adults with autism who came forward.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/03/27/471600733/when-an-autism-diagnosis-comes-in-adulthood

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a very interesting article and I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete