Monday, September 28, 2015

Slavery records will soon be easily searchable online Kiyanna Elliott

Summary: FamilySearch, a large genealogy organization, along with several other organizations will digitally release records collected through the Freedmen's Bureau and launch a nationwide volunteer effort to make the records searchable by 2016. The Freedmen's Bureau received handwritten, personal information about an estimated 4 million newly freed slaves including details about who previously owned them, marriage and family history, military service, banking practices and hospital and property records. Organized near the end of the Civil War and following the passage of the 13th Amendment, the Freedmen's Bureau operated from 1865 to 1872 in 15 states and the District of Columbia. It opened schools, managed hospitals, rationed food and clothing. As a result, it collected information on millions.

Analysis: This story is a little dated (it was published on June 19th) but I just came across it on one of my social media accounts and I wanted to do a current event post on it. I think any article that related to African Americans that is only a few months old would be alright due to the fact that issue pertaining to us is always relevant and in the news. I wanted to share this because I'm really happy that a lot of African Americans will now begin to trace back their heritage since it was taken away from them. It sucks to be in a middle of a discussion about what you races you're mixed with when you don't know anything. All you know is that your black and that's that. Hopefully when this is complete and organized, I can find something about my family's past.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/06/19/slavery-records-searchable-online/28921295/

4 comments:

  1. That's extremely interesting! Because of this discovery, so many people will know their heritage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am excited for this. Soon I will know who where I came from. These records will give so many black people a sense of belonging within their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited for this. Soon I will know who where I came from. These records will give so many black people a sense of belonging within their families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting, and I'm glad you brought it back from June. So many important voices were unheard that could've contributed so much more to historical accounts, and I'm glad they can finally be appreciated with this new technology.
    Maddie Hanratty 8th period

    ReplyDelete