Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Adriana Hinojosa, 8th period, Turning Tables

We are in 2015. We are the most advanced we have ever been with technology especially when it comes to streaming. Ever since the creation of the iPod we have had the luxury of having all of our favorite tunes at our fingertips. But just like clothing fads have reverted to old ways,  so have music fads. Although we have the ability to in essence listen to ANYTHING we want EVERYWHERE we like having vinyl. Why? Maybe it is the nostalgic static-y sound and it might be just a hip trend. I personally do listen to a lot of vinyl because of the records I have accumulated over the years from what my dad used to own or from some I've bought. The reason I love to listen to records is because you kind of force yourself to listen to full albums and so you learn if you really like that artist or not. Sure, you can  listen to full albums on Apple Music but it is much easier to jump from song to song than it is on vinyl. Record sales have been booming in these past several years to the point where there are more records being sold than there are being produced. I think it is also a symbolic thing of having the music physically in your hands that brings this odd satisfaction, much like that of holding a paperback book as opposed to an eBook. History always repeats itself and I think my generation especially is very much influenced by others.

I think it is interesting how much faster our society is advancing than us, we can't keep up. We advance so quickly especially in things like technology but a lot of us find tradition ways of doing things really satisfying and comforting. I wonder if music-streaming will be something nostalgic for generations to come or if vinyl will still be held as an epitomizing object for many generations of the past and will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/vinyl-records-see-comeback-during-musics-digital-age-n435806
Image: Record Collector store in Bordentown, New Jersey

3 comments:

  1. I want to live in s record shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie Schell (flex)
    I feel like we are getting ahead of ourselves with technology and in the process are losing hold of the things that matter more than say our cellphones.

    ReplyDelete