Monday, September 29, 2014

Senator comes out during speech- Jack O'Connor Period 6

Lawmakers gathered in the Pennsylvania state capital in Harrisburg on Tuesday to propose a major change in the state's hate crime law to extend protection to those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. Senator Jim Ferlo of Pittsburgh casually mentioned his sexuality in a speech, "Hundreds of people know I'm gay. I just never made an official declaration," he said. "I never felt I had to wear a billboard on my forehead. But I'm gay. Get over it. I love it. It's a great life." Claiming it was completely impromptu, Ferlo says he has no reason to deny it, and is very open about his life.

Having many gay friends, I am very excited and happy for them that politicians are slowly bringing LGBTQ rights to the forefront. Everyone deserves equal happiness and basic human rights. This speech given by Ferlo is another great stepping stone toward obtaining complete openness and helping eradicate homophobia in America, and eventually the world. 

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/24/us/pennsylvania-lawmaker-comes-out/index.html?hpt=us_t4

1 comment:

  1. i honestly dont understand why many people are against gays, its its nothing abnormal. i think that its time for someone in the political side to be gay, and support all gays as well many women support womens right. Sharon cordon 4th period

    ReplyDelete