Sunday, October 28, 2018

Internet version of Pittsburgh Steelers logo sends message 'Stronger than Hate' - Joziah German

A distinct altered Pittsburg Steelers logo, showing a symbol of solidarity and strength, caught word this weekend over the internet. Created in response to Saturday's deadly attack at a Pittsburgh synagogue, the image was the Steelers logo with the Star of David taking the place of the team's yellow star-like design. The sign was paired with the phrase "Stronger than Hate." Tim Hindes the creator of the image was about a mile away when the shooting happened." I picked up my laptop and started doodling. My intent wasn't clear. But I doodled," he wrote. "I wanted it to be of resiliency and hope. It was private at first, but friends urged me to make the post public, as it resonated with them."An idea behind his work was the state football team, the Steelers, and how steel is strong. People everywhere feel in love with the message and sports teams alike all served their respects to Pittsburgh's loss. 

This article created by Shelby Copeland and Ann Claire Stapleton, CNN, was posted just a day after the terrible shooting in Pittsburg. To be honest, I had no prior knowledge to hearing about this story, but its story really hits me especially since I'm partially Jewish. The shooter behind this act stated he wanted all Jews to be dead, and sadly it reminded me of the Holocaust. My grandparents living in Poland at the time of the Nazi outbreak just barely escaped to America. I think it's awful that this act in Pittsburg was targetted at such a respected religion who have been through so much already in the past. This article was written for the people of the country to learn about a picture that helped unite a community after hardship. Just a drawing was able to ignite overwhelming help to the victims at the synagogue. This article was written and important because it helps to show how such a small little image can make a great difference between a lot of people. I hope that the families of this accident will end up coming together and become stronger than they were before. 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/28/us/steelers-logo-synagogue-shooting-trnd/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2Fus%3Fno-st%3D9999999999


2 comments:

  1. Emma Burkey: I think that this image will have the staying power of many great pieces of art and a mission at that: not letting anyone forget the tragedy in Pittsburgh. I think this is very important for us as artists to pay attention to because it shows us we have the power to bring communities and ideas together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the artists message and his motivation for creating it. It is a very good way to spread awareness about this tragic event.
    Maya Friedmann

    ReplyDelete