Monday, October 29, 2018

Emma Myers- Victims of the Pitsburgh Synagogue Shooting

here's the link if you want to read it for yourself

On Saturday, a gunman entered the sadly ironically named Pittsburgh Tree Of Life Synagogue and open fired, killing 11 members. The Synagogue was pretty new and most of the members were elderly people who had grown close over the years. The article names each victim, what they did for work, and described each. Many of the other members at the temple were interviewed, so it made the story a lot more personal and interconnected. I really enjoyed that this article focused less on the shooting and more on the victims and how it affected the people around them.

So, I know that when I click on an article for a shooting I expect a gruesome story. I've written about a shooting before, even, and I kind of know what to expect now. I was hesitant to chose this story as well because I know it affects everyone differently and can be a touching, depressing subject. But this article changed my mind, it focused on celebrating the people as a way of mourning. Each person was so unique and had their own quirks that let you know the people commenting really knew them. In history, I can't pinpoint an exact time this has happened, which makes it so special; I think more tragedies need to have this type of coverage in the media. I feel so much more attached to this event just by reading the article, and I feel like I already know the people.

1 comment:

  1. It makes me extremely happy to see that the victims of this atrocious incident have been remembered not as a pawn in some larger political scheme and such, but as average people wit exceptional lives who happened to be thrust into an impossibly imaginable situation.

    ReplyDelete