Monday, December 12, 2016

Sophia Jalilvand: Terminally ill boy dies in Santa's arms

Summary: Eric Schmitt-Matzen, with his white beard and 300 pound frame, is a very popular Santa in his area. A nurse he knew at the hospital told him of a terminally ill 5-year-old boy that wanted to see Santa Claus. This was their interaction:

'"They say I'm gonna die,' he told me. "How can I tell when I get to where I'm going?"
"I said, 'Can you do me a big favor?'"
"He said, 'Sure!'"
"When you get there, you tell 'em you're Santa's Number One elf, and I know they'll let you in."
"He said, 'They will?'"
"I said, 'Sure!'"
"He kinda sat up and gave me a big hug and asked one more question: 'Santa, can you help me?'"
"I wrapped my arms around him. Before I could say anything, he died right there. I let him stay, just kept hugging and holding on to him."

Analysis: This is truly a heartbreaking Christmas story. I can only imagine how the parents must have felt to know their son died (everyone left the room when he was with Schmitt-Matzen) and how Eric himself must have felt. He attempted to explain himself and even said he considered quitting being a Santa. Although he was truly shaken up and couldn't stop crying for weeks, he watches children at play and is reminded of his job: to make children happy.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/12/living/santa-terminally-ill-boy-irpt-trnd/index.html

1 comment:

  1. This event was sad, but heartwarming. May God bless his soul and comfort and bless his family.

    ReplyDelete