Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Tessa Ward

APUSH- 3rd



7 Million-Piece Mosaic Uncovered in Jericho After 80 Years:


Summary:

Recently, a mosaic was discovered in Jericho, in which had seven million stones, each one less that a square centimeter. This excavation process to clear up the rock and sand around the mosaic took over three months. Experts say that people had covered up the mosaic in sand in order to protect it from erosion. Each stone is embellished with intricately detailed patterns that look almost geometric. The colors in this mosaic are bright reds and pinks. In all, this piece of art covers nearly 9,688 square feet, which is equal to 900 square meters. It is now open for tourists to come admire this amazing mosaic.


Analysis:

I personally think that it is great that this beautiful artwork piece was dug up and now open for the world to see. I’m happy that we have the equipment to enable us to do this and that we are able to tell how old it is. I hope that in the future, when more and more people find out about this mosaic, the number of tourists that are able to go in and walk around will be limited because it would be awful if there were a ton of people in there at once and it be so crowded that something falls or breaks. The originality in this piece is incredible and I hope that I will be able to see I it one day in person and not just on a screen


Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/middleeast/jericho-mosaic-inside-the-middle-east/index.html

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I wonder if there are any other masterpieces hidden in our earth! I also hope they display this somewhere very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe this! It is great to hear that new equipment and technology has enabled us to uncover the past.

    ReplyDelete