Monday, November 28, 2016

Japan's 'Space World' Freezes 5,000 Fish Inside Ice Rink

Summary: Space World, a Japanese theme park, was forced to shut down after 5,000 fish and other sea creatures were found frozen inside of the ice rink. The ice rink was advertised as a "world first" and advertised picture of it with captions such as "I am d... d... drowning, s ... s... suffocating." Yes, believe it or not, the fish were not there by accident. The manager was surprised by the social media backlash saying, "We were shocked to hear the reaction as the ice skate rink was very popular since it opened two weeks ago, we had an unprecedented number of visitors, (But) we had endless opinions about the project, we were shocked ... We are sorry for the project and decided to close the rink on that night." He also said that the park would hold "appropriate religious service" and then reuse them as fertilizer. The fish were purchased from a local fish mart and were dead before being frozen.
Analysis: Honestly, I'm shocked that someone would ever think this was good idea. I personally don't see how someone would find it fun to skate on a rink full of dead fish. I'm also surprised that this wasn't an accident. When I read this article, I thought that this was a mistake. I assumed that they had just gotten their water from a lake, and didn't bother to check it for fish ahead of time. This could connect to the treatment of Killer Whales at Sea World.
Article: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/28/asia/japan-frozen-fish-rink-trnd/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I am very shocked at this. I, too, wonder what made them believe that this was okay! I am pleased that they have taken care of the issue to shut it down and are doing necessary services and actions to put the fish to good use! Also, I like your synthesis to the similar treatment of the Killer Whales at Sea World.

    ReplyDelete