Saturday, November 28, 2015

How the 'Hunger Games' franchise changed Hollywood-- Demi Tomasides

The title is pretty self explanatory of the article. It's talking about "how the 'Hunger Games' franchise changed Hollywood". The article say that we now have Jennifer Lawrence. (She was up for an Oscar before any of the Hunger Games stuff went down, but it's true. Now everyone knows her name), there's a heightened interest in Young Adult novels (eh, that's a bit of a stretch to me... Harry Potter anyone?), and how the movie and its actors spread a stronger message than just another dystopian series (okay, I will definitely give them that).

I'm going to be completely honest I don't really think that the Hunger Games franchise "changed Hollywood". I think movies like Forrest Gump, Good Will Hunting, even Rocky to an extent, broke barriers and created some great one liners. (Trust me I have way more movies on that list and even more that I haven't seen but know are probably there, but figured this blog was not about me naming my top 100). I will say, though, for what it's worth I loved reading the trilogy a few years ago and I agree that the franchise was influential to modern day pop culture. It's true, Jennifer Lawrence was fighting for wage equality while her character was tackling political and societal issues that can be reflected into our lives today. I totally give them props for that. But what I think is totally interesting is that phenomenons like these have been around for a while. I mean, Uncle Tom's Cabin anybody? I think that was probably the first book fandom (besides maybe the Bible...) and that too fought for a cause. It literally had a fandom name: Tommania. I love that, I don't know why but I think it's just really great. We have Whovians, Potterheads, Beliebers (ha!) and we think that we made up this whole "21st century, only our generation" thing. Oh no. Stowe...die hard Tommanian.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/19/entertainment/hunger-games-mockingjay-part-2-hollywood-feat/index.html

2 comments:

  1. So spot on Demi!! I'm sure there are several other movies that have taken over the box office even more than The Hunger Games even though it relates to several theories about the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Hunger Games has been influential in Hollywood, but I agree there have been many more before it that have shaped and morphed Hollywood. This trilogy is just one ripple in a giant wave.

    ReplyDelete