Monday, December 16, 2013

Nana Johnson - Kiss Your Bananas Buh-Bye

Summary: The main variety of bananas that are shipped to the United States, the Cavendish banana, may be wiped out within the next few years. The variety is under serious attack by a fungus that has spread outside of Asia, and into Mozambique and Jordan. The biggest fear is that the fungus spreads to Latin America, who is the world's largest banana exporter. Prices for bananas have also significantly increased over the past 10 years. Luckily, the Cavendish is only 13% of bananas produced every year.

Analysis: Although I don't particularly care for Cavendish bananas, I can certainly see why this is an issue. With the constant use of GMO (Genetically Modified Organisms), we are putting ourselves at more risk for completely depleting the species. If a virus or bacteria were to surface upon a specific gene in a plant, the entire crop runs the risk of not surviving for years. This does not only apply to these bananas, but all produce that is genetically modified. This also makes me believe that in the United States we should be able to have another variety of produce incase something like the Great Famine in Ireland occurs. Because Ireland's staple crop was the potato, a potato disease caused an entire population to starve. Variety and natural selection is key, and we shouldn't become overly dependent on a specific species being there because they will always be replaced.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/kiss-your-bananas-buh-bye-163342332.html

2 comments:

  1. This makes me sad and scared because I love bananas and my banana consumption is staggering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Byron Otis-Yes, I've been keeping tabs on this issue through the years. How sad, I've often thought. Bananas are so enjoyable. To think that my children will not be able to enjoy the kinds of bananas that I've grown to enjoy so much.

    ReplyDelete