Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Samantha Pena
7th period

Latina-Americans Exercise their Right to Vote
Margarita Montanez, Jessica Dominguez, and Julissa Arce are three very important Latina-America women in our country. All three of them are using their right to vote this upcoming election of the U.S. presidential candidate election. All thee of these women were immigrants from Mexico and now are proud U.S. citizens. "The thing I was looking most forward to was being able to vote and finally being apart of our country's democracy because at the very cor of what our country is about is the ability of people, of its citizens, to be able to participate in the political process", says Julissa.  These women are overwhelmed at the fact that they have the right to vote and that they are able to plan out the future of their children's country; it honestly means the world to them. The fact that these women are voting not only for themselves but for the people of our country of the future is very humbling, because many of the born U.S. citizens are not exercising their right to vote because many believe that it is not important. These women believe that they can decide their future and they are right. "I feel like with my vote, I can give a voice to the millions of undocumented immigrants who can't vote who cannot be represented in this country the way they should be, says Ms. Dominguez. Studies show that Latina-American women are voting more than the Latino men are. The C.U.N.Y/ C.N.N. study shows that around 55% of the Hispanic voters are Latina and about 10% more of the Latinas are registering to vote other than the Latino men. Hernan Molina, a political analyst, says,"... they also take voting very seriously. They want to make sure that they elect the next president, the next candidate, because they want to make sure that that person can represent their values". As a Latina-American young woman myself I can look up to these women in the future because this is the type of Latina- American citizen I would like to be when I am able to vote. I not only want to vote for myself and my future but also for the future of those who will come after me. I want to make sure that the president that I want to elect will get elected because I was represented in our counrty's democracy.
 Latinas Vote!

2 comments:

  1. This is a very satisfying article to know that every day our country is getting closer to equality. We still have a long way to go, but stories like these provide hope for the continuously growing idea of absolute equality. Additionally, I loved the way that you placed statistics in your summary to show persuade the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sarah! Because we live in an imperfect world, we will never have perfect equality. However, it is so great to see we are improving.

    ReplyDelete