Thursday, September 29, 2016

Ava Noble: Hoboken Train Crash Leaves at Least One Dead and Dozens Injured

WEEK OF OCTOBER 3RD BLOG: Ava Noble

Summary:  
          On Thursday morning at around 8:45am during one of the busiest times of the morning, a commuter train in Hoboken, New Jersey killed one person and injured about 108 people. The train smashed through barriers that were supposed to save the train from crashing, but because it was traveling at such a high speed, it was eventually stopped by a wall in the Hoboken Terminal building. The train came from Spring Valley, New Jersey. The one person that was killed died by falling remnants of the crash when they were standing on the platform. People rushed to pull the passengers of the train out of it when it crashed; Michael Larson was in the building when it happened. Witnesses explained wires were everywhere, the roof had sunken in, seats were in horrible condition, and the first car of passengers was the most destroyed. The station this occurred at is near the Hudson River, and it is a very popular station for commuters from all directions. Every weekday, about 15,000 passengers board at this station. Passengers described that the train wobbled before it hit the wall. This horrible tragedy is an event that will always be remembered.

Analysis/Synthesis:
       Prior to reading this article, I had not heard about the train crash. After talking to friends, I learned it had been all over the news, and I had not seen it yet. This is not the first time I have heard about a deadly train crash. Every few years, I hear of events similar to this. Being a kid that takes the train twice a week, this makes me worried about my safety. I have learned from this article to start sitting further back on the train to reduce the amount of impact I would receive if an accident happened head on. I can synthesize this event to another train accident that happened in 2011 involving the PATH train station at Hoboken. Although that accident only injured 30 people, I would have hoped they would have fixed train accident issues by then. It was interesting to me that all articles about this accident did not have a lot of information on the cause of the crash. I hope that this article will teach others to be safe and aware when riding public transportation. It makes me upset that the passengers could do absolutely nothing in the time of the crash to ensure safety. I am praying engineers invent a safer way to promise a more safe travel when riding the train.

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/30/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-train-crash-hoboken.html?_r=0

6 comments:

  1. I saw this on the news recently! I agree with you Ava, hopefully it can teach others to be more safe but I also hope that it is being investigated and the problems that occurred are fixed so no more train crashes occur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to take the train everyday, and this makes me wonder what the statistics of train crashes in the U.S are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad, and the amount of transportation accidents are insane! Each ay safety for individuals becomes less and less, because simple things like this occur.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the safety of transportation should be improved. It shouldn't take tragedies like this to happen to bring about improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings extreme awareness to the safety of our transportation. This is so sad and tragic that an innocent person was killed by a malfunction. We all need to be more concerned about how often we overuse these trains!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a tragic and sad event that occurred, and I am praying for all those involved in the crash! It worries me for those that I know take the train frequently, and I wonder how they are going to work to improve the safety of transportation.

    ReplyDelete