Monday, May 12, 2014

Bring Back Our Girls. (please read and spread the word)

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/05/us-shares-intel-recon-flights-in-nigerian-students-search/
         For those that are unaware of the topic, around three weeks ago a group of Nigerian terrorists abducted 237 young female students from their school in Borno. Ever since that tragic day, these innocent young women have been sold in to slavery, abused, and some even killed. The group of terrorists, Boko Haram has been releasing videos of the girls, mocking the efforts made by both the U.S. and Nigeria's government. So far, 41 of the girls have managed to escape the clutches of Boko Haram, but that is not enough. The U.S. has been raising awareness of this subject by creating rallies in the names of the abducted girls. Michelle Obama has recently reached out in a campaign called, "Bring Back Our Girls." Recently, the Nigerian government has incorporated their air force, and enlisted Recon planes to help find the abducted victims. However, there search has proved unsuccessful.

My response:
I cry too easily.  I stopped apologizing for it years ago and have become One with the way I express my emotions.  Tears come, at times, from something sentimental and sweet.  At other times from great sadness.  Today it is from pure rage and frustration.
This morning I, like the rest of the world, watched the news for some sign of progress in finding the more than 200 Nigerian girls kidnapped on April 14th from their dormitories at their school – a rural school where families had the chance to give their daughters an education.  In this region, 72% of primary school-aged female children never, as in never-ever, go to school. These young ladies were a rare exception.
But in the middle of the night almost a month ago, armed men attacked the few security guards at the school, dragged the girls from their beds, forced them into trucks and drove into the night. No one has seen the girls since. Over 200 girls simply disappeared.
The terrorist group, Boko Haram, claims to have them. They have sent horrifying videos to social media saying that they will sell the girls into “marriage”. As the world expresses it’s outrage in protests and viral messages calling for their safe return, the terrorists laugh.
I understand that I may be just one voice amongst a sea of billions, but I am a unionist who understands the collective power I have to make the needs of students known to powerful people and to hold those people accountable for doing the right thing. I understand my responsibility to accept the power we have as human beings to do something when we see something is wrong.
Lately, public political figures have been treating this issue as if it were no big deal, which disgusts me. To see members of the Republican party mock the advertised rallies makes me sick to my very core. Forgive me if I sound insensitive, (actually don't, if you disagree with my view I'd love to discuss it with you in person)but I firmly believe that had those Nigerian girls, actually been a bus full of Caucasian boys; the action taken by the government would've been far more brisk and extensive. 
And so the tears come.  Tears as an outward sign that these girls are important.  A sign that we will not let them be forgotten.  Especially for educators, our tears are a sign that these girls are the faces of all students who dare to dream of something better; that these girls speak to our hearts’ work.  That these girls are ours.
Do not confuse our tears with surrender. They are tears of determination. Tears of passion. You have taken our girls. The world demands their safe return and the world will not rest until they are home.
I refuse to stop fighting, crying, hoping, and raising awareness, until these girls are home again. 

Bring Back Our Girls

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more and I still can't believe that we have taken extensive measures to do so. WE will find them if we really care, but unfortunately we are missing some of that characteristic...of caring. If we can take extensive measures to look for some plane for months then most certainly we can get our Nigerian girls back, especially when we have some direction. Come on America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I am still ignorant on the issue, but it doesn't take much to know that something very wrong is happening. This makes me want to know Boko Haram's motivation for this. Power? Notoriety? Money? What are they gaining from taking innocent girls? I'm glad the whole world has gotten together and try to bring an end to this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is very sad that these girls were taken, and I think that this is a major issue, but we can't just immediately jump into foreign affairs that the U.S. has no real business being involved in. I have seen articles about how many Nigerians are actually against U.S. involvement. If we get involved, it could lead to countless problems: it could be another long lasting war, and be like the situation with the Middle East all over again.

    ReplyDelete