Monday, December 11, 2017

Wolfgang Hunter - Freed prisoner witnessed radicalization in Egyptian jails

A citizen of Ireland of Egyptian descent spent several years in jail in Egypt for crimes ranging from inciting violence to murder. After escaping and returning to Ireland, he shares his stories of witnessing inmates gradually becoming more radical. When talking about radicalization, the article refers to radicalization within religion; in this case, Islam.

One problem that I personally have with this article is that it doesn't give any sort of logistical insight into the number of inmates being radicalized; it only gives a very pathos-oriented point of view. I'm not saying that conversion within the cells did not happen, but the story seems fairly tainted with Western influence. I am by no means siding with anyone or organizations, but I would appreciate the reference of some sort of material data.

https://www.apnews.com/dd145b1cb67443369e91329a2d92918e/Freed-prisoner-witnessed-radicalization-in-Egyptian-jails

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comment completely, I think it’s very important that articles have pure data and references and not just feelings.

    ReplyDelete