Monday, December 11, 2017

Ex-Cop Who Killed Walter Scott Sentenced To 20 Years in Prison- Heaven-Leigh Pettis


Ex-Cop Sentenced To 20 Years in Prison for killing Walter Scott


   Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer, was sentenced to 20 years in federal prison for the second-degree murder of Walter Scott. Slager shot Scott 5 times supposedly for 'running away and having a broken taillight. Slager's family made statements portraying him as a young man who went into law enforcement to help people. Slager's family made an effort to shorten the sentence while Scott's family wanted Slager to have the life sentence. Scott's family forgive Slager for what he did but say that he needs to suffer the consequences. It is said that Scott's murder prompted the "Black Lives Matter" protests and vigils
   I think it's terrible that Scott was killed over some BS like that and I think if I was in their shoes, I'd want him to have a life sentence as well. I don't think this happened all because of a broken taillight, I think it had more so to do with the fact that Scott was black. This murder happened in April 2015 and Slager's 2016 state trial ended in a mistrial. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/us/michael-slager-sentencing/index.html

1 comment:

  1. I also believe that Slager deserves to have a life sentence. Him shooting Scott was irrational in my opinion. Even if he did feel endangered and felt like he needed to shoot Scott, he didn't need to shoot him 5 times and end up killing him.

    ReplyDelete