Monday, January 30, 2017

tessa ward



can burnt toast and roasted potatoes cause cancer?


summary:

Recently, the Food Standards Agency in the U.K. released a study that burned toast and other starchy foods that are cooked at high temperatures can cause cancer if too much is consumed. . 
This specific campaign is based off of longstanding evidence that are based on animal studies. Other experts state that other lifestyle factors can cause much higher risks of cancer such as obesity and smoking. The reason that burned foods can cause cancer is because the aclarymide levels that already exist in bread, potatoes, etc. increases to levels that a lot of people cannot handle. 


analysis:

I love this study because it now can make us more aware of what we eat and how we cook our food. My mom is a health coach and has actually studied this theory for a long time. I don't think eating slightly crispy food is bad as long as it is eaten in moderation. But, the reason i don't like how these scientists figured out that burned foods can cause cancer is because they experimented on animals. I'm sure there was another way to figure out this data without using live animals. But overall, I am glad that people are now more aware of these possibilities and will hopefully encourage better eating habits. 



source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/23/health/burnt-toast-cancer-risk-roast-potatoes-acrylamide-bn/index.html

3 comments:

  1. I have heard that burnt food can cause cancer. That is really scary. Another thing that can also cause cancer are candles. The smoke is dangerous. It seems weird that things we don't pay attention to can be so dangerous for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is crazy. I love toast and roasted potatoes. Even though I love these foods I'm glad they've found out about this. I agree with Tessa about how they shouldn't test on animals, they also have feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so scary. I wish they did not test this on animals.

    ReplyDelete