Sunday, October 7, 2012

Student ID Trackers: Amanda Garcia

At Anson Jones Middle School, in San Antonio, they have begun something new this school year. They had realized that in the past years they were loosing thousands of dollars on students being late to homeroom and being counted as absent. Since the amount of money the district gives depends on how many students attend class, this was becoming an issue. Because of this they created student IDs that have tracking systems in them. This has saved over $400,000 for the schools.
Apparently this has been a big success to several different districts. And not many complaints, but theres still people thinkings it an invasion of privacy. I personally wouldn't like having these, because I feel like everyone is responsible enough to take care of what they need to do. I think this has gone to far and they should think of an easier way to fix the problem.

5 comments:

  1. I think kids are sick some days and just late others and i dont think its the schools buisness it is deff an invasion of privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Grace. Whatever they choose to do is what they choose to do. Some people are very shy about things like his, because of home issues, so having a tracking device won't make them want to come to school if anything it would make them flee away from school, due to the fact that they don't want you baggering them about what's been going on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha I had heard of this long ago and I didn't agree then why should I now? That is such a dictatorship move to make I.D. tracking devices. Don't agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a tracker on my student ID would make me feel uncomfortable. There have to be different ways that the students that have been costing the school's money can be punished and then encouraged to show up and not be late to school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like this is just a little ridiculous. Like okay, I know they said it "saved" them money. But think of all the money it must've cost them to make these badges. I think they went too far. The money used to make these badges couldv'e been put to something more useful. Plus, I don't even see how that's legal. That's a total invasion of privacy. And THEN what if the student doesn't even have their ID? And what's the system anyhow? If a student isn't in class do they track them down? And then what? I just don't think this idea was very well thought through.

    ReplyDelete