Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fire destroys State Fair Texas icon Big Tex by Kameron Sims-Washington

On Friday October 19, 2012, the Texas State Fair icon Big Tex caught on fire when  a wire in his jaw malfunctioned and caused an electrical fire. Big Tex was celebrating his 60th birthday. This incident occurred around 10:30 a.m. The fire quickly burned off the 52' foot cowboy's clothes off , reducing him to a frame. After the fire destroyed him, Texas State fair officials took his body away. Big Tex served as a mascot for the Fair for many decades, and many people grieved over his destruction because he was a classic icon for those who attended the fair since they were children. Many people mourned about the Big Tex's "death" and even made a shrine for him at the fair today. Some overreacted and even made a Facebook page about his death or made a sign saying "Gone, but not forgotten". There were no injuries and the fair is still open. The last day of the fair is Sunday.

source:http://www.kens5.com/news/local/Big-Tex-destroyed-in-fire-at-State-Fair-of-Texas-no-injuries-175077601.html


<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c01K2c5vD24" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7 comments:

  1. Really -_- lol well I mean I guess Lol guys just wood with shape Lol old toys guys gotta throw them away at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree I think he was everybodies fantasy that they never wanted to wake up from. He was there every year for 16 yrs. of my life so my first thought when I arrived to the fair, the first time, was to go find Big Tex. Then when I went a week later he was gone, so when I wennt to go look for him all I could do was look into the sky because he was no longer there. Sometimes it's the little things in your childhood that really mean the most

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol poor big tex. I thought someone set him on fire, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find all the mourning a little bit odd and over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe it is okay for people to feel a little disconnect from Big Tex's death but people should not mourn too much. At least the fire didn't injure anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family has been apart of the texas state fair for almost two decades. Our company has been out there since 1916. I have worked out at the fair for almost 7 years now. I had a good attraction to the crazy cowboy but I still didnt mourn like some of these folks. Most likely because I know he will be back Bigger and Better next year!

    ReplyDelete