Saturday, October 13, 2012

Juvenile Killers Might Get a Second Chance- Taiina Ayala

This article talks about how in June the Supreme Court banned life sentences without parole for those under age 18 convicted of murder. Since then, different state legislatures have set their own rules on this. In Iowa the juvenile has to stay in jail for at least 60 years before seeking parole. Some people say that is not fair because it's pretty much equal to life in prison. In North Carolina, life without parole is not necessary, but an option, with a 25-year minimum sentence for those seeking parole. In
Pennsylvania where there's the most juvenile offenders serving life terms, the minimum is 35 years.

 I'm not sure how I feel about this new law. For the most part, I like it. I think people deserve second chances in life. Also, I don't believe that one bad choice or one split second of bad decision- making should ruin the rest of your life, especially when you're so young. Although I don't really agree with this all the time, teenagers' brains are not fully developed. Therefore, we cannot fully understand the consequences to our actoin. Also, as said in the article, "youth are prone to miscalculate risks and consequences, and [our] moral compasses are not fully developed." Sad, but true. BUT on the other hand, I see where other people are coming from who are against this new ban against life sentences without parole for minors. The article gives a specific example of a 15 year-old old girl killed in 1993. The article includes snippets from an interview with her sister. She says the though of the killer, who murdered her loved one, back on the streets scares her. I can see why that would make sense, but I still think everyone deserves a second chance, especially after they've had years and years to think it over and get better. But then again, I haven't had anyone close to me be murdered, so I wouldn't fully understand.



Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/us/juvenile-killers-and-life-terms-a-case-in-point.html?_r=1&ref=us

3 comments:

  1. I believe people can change, but that doesn't mean everyone can change. Some peopple kill because of hurt or even agonony or most of the time someone has just been tormented. Not all killers are bad people, but not all killers should be free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they should get a second chance because then people would not think about it twice before they do something bad, because they now the might get a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Fredy. Killing someone isn't something you just do, I know im done if i were to end someones life i'd accept my punishment for taking someones child away from them.

    ReplyDelete